My dear hubby recently bought me a little book "Amy Carmichael, Come Quietly to Meet You" .
When I manage to sneak a minute to sit down and read (and oh, what a blessing these rainy days have been;) I am always left challenged.
Take this challenging devotional titled "If I Belittle"
If in any way,... I belittle those I am called to serve
If I talk of their weak points in contrast, perhaps with what I think of as my stronger points... if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting to consider the wisdom of the voice that asks me, inwardly, "Who made you different from the one you are criticizing- and what do you have that you have not been given?"... if I can easily discuss the shortcomings or the sins of any man or woman...if I can speak in an off-handed way, even of a child's wrongdoings... then I know nothing of Calvary love
This makes me gulp, read again and again and... well re-examine myself (only to find myself guilty - take for example my sighing and groaning over my children's wrongdoing to get me started... )
And then my brother kindly shared a Bible Story for evening devotions with our children over video skype on Sat. - the pride of Namaan (2Kings5) and his unwillingness to follow a simple instruction to wash in the Jordan (which was a little too dirty, too humbling for a Syrian high and mighty)...
(Would you believe it is the same sermon our pastor asked me to do a chalk drawing for to accompany his sermon this Sunday)

Pride - how very easily it creeps in. How easily I can let it take control of my attitudes...
Oh but I do know Calvary's love - but let me know it more!
No comments:
Post a Comment