but in all the sluggishness I have had lots of time to reflect on the past, enjoy some extra time of snuggles and take life a little slower (YAY). Why is it that it sometimes takes the influenza season just to go a notch slower?
Happy Birthday Owen...
I just love how when I am feeling crook I can put you in bed beside me and know that if I hold your hand and you watch my eyes close I can be sure you will fall asleep too within a short time. You lie so still and peaceful and are so incredibly cuddly. Just love, love, love it! Definitely one of a kind when it comes to that still, cuddly factor:) Have tried this with your sister/big brother and I am bound to get a leg in my ribs, and very little zzzz factor:)
I love how you love to sing, almost always return a grin with a grin (even when really stubborn and cranky- if I wait long enough you just can't help yourself!) .
I love that you don't always know when others are picking on some of your funny ways - even embarrassing ones (though please don't try running out of the toilet again before I get your nappy back on:)
I love that you never seem to care what someone looks like - you are friendly to them. While stranger danger is an issue - I do love the fact that you will probably never judge someone by appearance, past sins, intellectual capacity or even look strangely at someone with a huge birthmark, or massive hairy wart on the end of their nose:)
I love the way you watch your brothers or sisters interacting with Daddy. I can't help but smile just to see you smile when Daddy blows on their tummy, tickles them or shares a funny joke. You just seem to know how to appreciate (without always understanding) the moment/the pleasure and their laughter makes you smile.
At seven years you love to:
- ask constantly where everyone is - on the way home from school you ask "where is B? or where is Uncle P?"
- Eat bananas (still a favourite), cheese, pick chives to munch on out of the garden (yes we do often have to go and replant them, but we know you just got a little enthusiastic:)
- You love to play anything electronic (what kids don't?) and have memorised quite a number of Leap Pad phrases :)
- run up to me with your arms open when I pick you up from school - I just love the squeal "Mamma's there!" that I get.
- make loads of mess - and I mean loads. You just enjoy everything to the max - eating, playing outdoors, reading books. Mess kind of just happens...
Watching you turn 7 has brought back many memories of watching you undergo heart sugery, watching you learn to walk - back and forward between Dad and Mum over and over and over.... It has brought back memories of many faces of therapists, friends and teachers that have all helped you to speak, to coordinate your movements, take turns, and even how to help your Mum by carrying your back pack all by yourself.
In recent days I have wiped your nose what seems like gazillions of times, or rather your whole face. I just don't make it to your nose quick enough sometimes before it gets smeared. I have enjoyed watching you build with Duplo, plant little seeds into egg cartons, dig holes like Uncle Christopher and crash out in bed at night, grabbing Mummy close for Hickory Dickory Dock song sung in your neck with all the sound effects.
As I sit here, near a box of tissues and trying to catch your runny nose again and to catch you in time to make potty training effective I cannot help but love you, my precious Owen James!
XOX -
May you understand even just a little of Jesus!
2 comments:
Yes, Happy birthday all over again-you smoochy, cuddly boy. You do indeed bring a smile and warmth into people's lives. Luv that boy...
Love, your aunty Evonne
Oh Sharon - that post made me cry :) I remember getting news Owen had arrived, and all the thoughts swirling around those days. I admired you and Dave so much, the way you lived in the Czech, graciously served others, and lovingly welcomed this little boy into your lives, along with all the needs he had. I remember some of those days when he had surgery too. I remember praying so much, yet feeling so inadequate to know what you were going through. Today though, I just am so glad for your family. He's a son you can be so very proud of. The Lord has prospered him, and he'll continue to do so, I know. I think Owen has a wonderful future, and your delight in being his parents is a big part of that. Tell Owen we love him to bits today, and happy birthday from us all, Anya xoxo
Post a Comment