Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

memories

I had planned to post these thoughts a long time ago. I wrote myself a huge list and then forgot the 'safe' place that I put it... nonetheless ... Please... don't tell me I did end up posting this? Somehow I remember writing it all out but I do believe I never posted it? OR could it be my foggy, forgetful pregnant brain?

Sometimes I wonder what things my children will remember. I wonder what stays in their mind - the pleasant memories as well as the things that really upset them or things they may feel quite strongly about having experienced them in one way or other.

I wonder what spiritual lessons they will learn easily - and those that might be harder to learn because of the particular way the Lord wired them up. Those things become more obvious as they get older...

I have some fond memories from childhood. Many are quite simple things... little memories I have. I like to reflect on them from time to time and remember to do those things that may also be precious memories for my children.

Just thought I'd share a few little things that are sweet memories for me:

  • Being wrapped tightly in a towel and snuggled tight after a bath
  • Going off to sleep with my Dad practicing hymns for playing at church - somehow i just attached a sense of security to it.
  • When my little dolly's leg broke and my Dad glued it (it couldn't swivel anymore) but instead made a pair of crutches for it out of paddle pop sticks
  • Adults at church who took the time to talk to me as an individual (and we three sisters were often inseparable - in fact were often called "Hui, Duey and Lui" because we were always sitting together)
  • Sitting in our lounge, where we had prayer meeting watching missionary slide shows from missos who were back for a time (and being allowed to stay up to watch)
  • Having a tea party with my Grandma and Grandpa - being allowed to put 'real' tea into the cups and having real lollies to dish out to them :)
  • Sitting in our apricot tree and feeding my face with yummy Tasmanian, home-grown apricots!
  • Being allowed to select a hymn to sing in Bible study time (I think I nearly always chose the same one - Hymn no. 2 - To God be the Glory...)
  • Having long chats with Mum sitting on the end of my bed (right into my teens - loved those chats!)

There are other memories that come to mind every now and then. I find, in reflecting on them, I am challenged to remember to incorporate little memories into the lives of our children. I am also challenged to be more flexible (a few late nights never hurt - a hard one for me to learn!). Most importantly I am challenged to make sure the moments count - that we make the most of those incidental conversations on spiritual matters, create an open atmosphere where our children can ask questions about what they read in the Bible, where they feel loved and cared for.... and all of that amongst the noisy, chaos that happens in our house on a daily, moment-by moment basis!

Help me Lord to hear your promptings amongst the noise and chaos, the arguing and the squealing!

What are some fond memories you have?

On observation of the above - no/little money was involved in any of these memories!



1 comment:

Ang Pang said...

yes, Ron, I do recall you writing some of those things previously, but you added some new ones too :) Never mind- I understand the foggy head dilemma! Plus- 'tis good to be reminded of these things again, I seem to get caught up in the tyranny of the 'urgent' and neglect the more important so easily.