Thought some of you might be interested in this article about the death of cursive writing in schools...
Must admit that I mostly use printing, unless I am in a more, shall we say, fancy frame of mind :) Do like the curls and fancy do's that occasionally show themselves on Charles Dickens movies or the like:) Not sure old movies with modern print would work... but what about cursive style with all the curly-swifty, whooply-do's in modern society?
My mother recalls spending considerable time at school doing 'penmanship' lessons (in USA) and I've only ever known her to use a flowing cursive style to this day...
Interested in your thoughts... do you think there is a place for cursive today or is it old hat?
1 comment:
That article is focusing on American education- I know that our boys are practicing cursive every day at school, so perhaps it's not dying out here in Australia. I think the biggest advantage of cursive is that you can write an awful lot quicker using cursive than printing because you don't have to pick up the pen as much. So it's a bit like reducing the number of keystrokes needed when using the computer - it all adds up over time. But knowing how ornate a lot of American scripts are, I can see why they're obsolete. Our Aussie style is a lot more basic, and I think is just joined up printing, which makes sense to me. There you go - that's my 2c worth :)
Post a Comment