Some memories are from very simple things - or just a feeling that stuck with me... For each child there are different things that might stand out and hey, my list is girly (sorry can't help that!) so perhaps I can ask my hubby some time what stands out to him (though he usually tells me he cannot remember much from his growing up years at all... buried somewhere down there I am sure...)
Well, here goes:
- after a bath, being wrapped in a towel, snuggled up warm and cuddled
- long chats with Mum after 'lights out'
- waking up early in the morning to find Mum on her knees in the lounge praying - she used to let me sit quietly with her
- little gifts wrapped for each day on our holidays for us to open
- being allowed to choose something in the shop (didn't happen often but when it did - wow - it seemed such a treat) I can remember Mum letting us pick out a tracksuit and I chose a yellow one with big pocket at front and picture of roller skates on front. I wore it till it was tatty.
- summer evenings with cousins laying awake at night in sleeping bag and giggling away - being rather silly, come to think of it!
- people /choirs or singing groups or any visiting speakers who came to our church (especially if they were able to stay at our house). Now this reminds me so much of my Joshua! Loved company - so like my eldest! Sharing meals with other families...
- Laying awake at night listening to Dad playing the piano while I went off to sleep - just loved this
- Receiving a puppy dog (something I just cannot bring myself to consider for my kids!)
- Prayer meetings at our house (especially when I was allowed to stay up!) I really enjoyed being around 'big' people and absolultely loved having missionary speakers show slides from strange and interesting countries
- Adults who took the time to talk to me - and not just the general 'how are you?' but who knew us a little more... I remember a couple of Sunday School Teachers who took the time to chat to me (I was quite shy and so it likely took some effort on their part to get much out of me).
- Giggling with my sisters, sitting on the kitchen benches, just the three girls and chatting about whatever (ok, ok... more silly stuff mixed in with personal 'only-for-sisters' stuff)
- Mum reading aloud to us all as a family - sometimes a missionary book, sometimes 'Little House on the Prarie'... I remember begging Mum to read just one more chapter!
Anyway, I could go on, but my aim is not to put you to sleep with my childhood history - just to share/remind myself of some things that were special...
I wonder what my kids will remember with fondness?
No comments:
Post a Comment