Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Revamp

I really enjoy taking something cheap or free and making it into something I like... This time it was a freeby (YAY). Some neighbours had this desk out near the footpath to dispose of. It is quite a solid desk and Josh spotted it on our drive home.

The desk had quite a battered top (and my wonderful husband surprised me while I was out and sanded the top back for me - ahh, I was over the moon as the sanding part isn't my favourite and David has the knack of getting it done in half the time I do!). There were some key holes in drawers (no key) the rim along the desk was a little battered/chipped...

Here are the before photos:



And a few weeks later (yes, bit by bit is the only way for projects these days ;). I used a lick of white paint, a dose of the electric sander, some iron-on laminate edging, white wood putty and some scrap booking metal oval embellishments...

The white shelf on the top was my expensive $8 shelf (I turned on its side) I spotted at Salvos... It also recieved a white paint job.

I had a lot of fun seeing it come together, and even more satisfaction knowing that it is made the way I like and cost me very little.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Amazing.... you are so clever. I love the scrapbooking embellishments on the drawers - they finish it perfectly. Well done! So where did you get the iron-on laminate?

Sharon said...

Laminate was just from hardware shop - I have also seen it at Bunnings (came wider than I needed so I pre-cut it with stanley knife) You could also get it from any cabinet making place.