Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tomato/kalamata Penne

Here's a family favourite recipe that I use often. I like it because:

  • I often have the ingredients for it in my cupboard (and is inexpensive if you don't use the whole bottle of kalamatas :)
  • It is vegetarian - not that we are - just that you don't even have to remember to thaw out meat from the freezer!
  • It is healthy and goes well with extra steamed veggies
  • It is one of hubby's favourites, and the kids like it too (I serve the kalamatas only to those who can handle the delicious taste!)
  • It is very quick to make

So... here it is..

Ingredients:

  • Penne pasta

  • Tomato cooking sauce/puree (I use tall bottles from Aldi)

  • fresh garlic

  • Fresh basil (to taste)

  • olive oil

  • freshly cracked black pepper

  • salt

  • mozzarella cheese (or whatever cheese your family likes) to top pasta

  • handfull of pitted kalamata olives

Method:

Cook pasta with a little oil and salt added to keep from sticking together.

Pour about 2 tablespoons of oil into frying pan. Slice garlic into thin rounds. Add garlic and a couple torn basil leaves to oil in pan. The idea is to infuse the oil with the flavour from the garlic and basil but not to let them actually sizzle. Keep the heat low and swirl around in pan to disperse flavour in the oil. Do this for 2/3 min. Remove from heat. Add tomato puree, salt, freshly crushed black pepper and kalamata olives. You can also add more chopped basil if you have any. Simmer for 10 min.

Serve tomato mixture onto pasta. Add shaved cheese and a smidgen of cracked pepper and wa-lah!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

mmm... looks delicious - and so easy! I can almost smell it from here!