I decided to use the Christmas money from my mother-in-law (as it has been her suggestion before as well) to make the money stretch and have a peek at some second hand shops - particularly for clothing for the children.
I had in mind a little dolly for Rosa this year and was quite delighted to find one at Salvos. She looked very cuddly and just the right size for my girl. She has a couple of very tiny marks on the back of her head but overall very clean.
Once the kids went off to bed for the night I dug out some scraps of Lycra fabric and made her a little outfit. (Yes, I have a snap press so any of you who may want snaps put on anything - feel free let me know... they are very handy for many projects)
and blanket
I think she is going to like her! And all for about $2. And the ones I was looking at in the shop were in excess of $20 - gasp!
I also managed to find some really lovely girls clothes for Rosa to grow into, too...
And another - which simply needs a new ribbon threaded around the waist
A summer top
And any girl has to love these dainty slippers! Lots of fun to clomp around in, calling the servants and sipping a cup of tea with the queen of England herself!

Admittedly I do not always find such lovely items in such good condition - especially for boys (they tend to wear things out faster) but I have been inspired to think thrifty, avoid the business of shops as much as possible and be more creative in the use of making money stretch.
... and to be honest, I had a lot more fun too!
... and to be honest, I had a lot more fun too!
3 comments:
I have THE definitive book of op shops -- I went through the UBD and marked each one with a sticker so I know where they ALL are. One day when you're free, we can go for a run together.
Also, for the cubby house Christmas, how about set up the cubby house as the stable and act out Jesus' birth?
Thanks Lauren!!
Both ideas sound great!
Would love to go on Second hand shop run!
And cubby house idea sounds great
You're a great inspiration,
Thanks!
I am so impressed with your finds, and how you managed to whip up and outfit for those dolls! There is something called the Enderby (not sure if that's how you spell it) factor.. don't think anyone else could achieve that!
Post a Comment