Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

cabinet making - come on all you mums - you should try your hand at it!

I have recently tried my hand at some very basic cabinet making. Having priced having a simple shelf made for laundry baskets under our dryer we decided that it was a no-goer - seemed ridiculous to pay so much for something so basic. I had to cut the timber to fit it in the van (we had quite a few large pieces of timber in our garage from moving a wall to the garage years ago.



So I have made it myself (with some help of course - as I have never done anything of this type since highschool and even then it was only a little wooden shape to put hot pots on...) I found out that there is a place nearby where you can go and cut your own timber. They charge a fee for the machine use per hour and the first visit you must also pay for some supervision/help in using the machines. I must admit I felt rather odd amongst so many men there but the supervisor was most helpful and very picky about exact measurements (he told me that I had one measurement 1/4 of a mm out! and then asked if he was being too picky .... I just smiled).

At any rate it is now sitting downstairs almost complete ... waiting for the next coat of paint and some wheels on the base. Because the shelves are so deep I need to wear a shower cap whilst painting so that I don't come out with white hair.

It has been fun but I am very keen to have this project out of the way soon (blocks up quite some space in the laundry until it is put into its little nook) Must confess to starting too many big projects of late (hubby can testify!).

Unfortunately I have some flu or something now and have spent the morning in bed shivering...

That'll teach me (maybe....)

photos of finished job to come...

2 comments:

Catherine said...

WOW - well done, Bob... I mean, mum! Great that you are trying your hand at such a thing. Not sure I am ready. How much did you save?

Hope you are feeling better soon.

By the way Sharon, I have you bookmarked on my blog but it doesn't tell me (as it should) when you update your blog. When I added you it said something about not being able to detect a URL feed for this blog. Is this something you have deliberately set? Would you or David know how to fix it?

Sharon said...

Cath, try now with the blog update URL feed business, we fiddled around with some settings.
By the way we probably saved about $150-$200 on the cabinet.