Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

un-squeezed

Sometimes it troubles me just to what degree the world squeezes us... no, rather, me into its mould. Life just kind of passes by in front of my eyes and so often I don't really stop to challenge my thoughts and view them in light of Christ. I find myself justifying why I like or don't like something, or tend to tell myself that it is ok. But I guess the lingering other question at the back of my mind is... "but is it profitable"(spiritually) ? Not that everything we do must have a spiritual goal but that I, as a Christian remain un'squeezed (there, I think I invented a word), that I remain confident in who I am in Christ, that I not feel I need to be like the world.

Persecution always seems to put things in the proper place... I deliberately picked this book

























recently to help me and my Joshua to appreciate a few things - the freedom we have as Christians, the true value of things and the joy that comes from Christ even in the midst of suffering (oh, and I so hate to suffer!! I also so hate to be misunderstood or thought of as wacky and fanatical!)

We are only part way through the book (and Josh is constantly trying to beg me to read more to him (I have to forbid him from reading some books so we can do some together reading - so love to have these times... and to discuss things as we go, too...)

The book tells the story of Natasha (year is 1975+), eldest daughter in a family where the father is jailed for 6 years merely for preaching the Gospel in communist Russia. It tells of the constant fear Christians lived under of the police spying Christian activities and making arrests... Children who accepted Christ were so cruelly isolated and tormented (under teacher's encouragement)and had to learn early the cost of following Christ, to be wise if they were interrogated (giving out names of no other believers) and to treasure the precious, uninterrupted Sunday School lessons, etc.

Of course books like this are intended to stir, to provoke, etc. and I confess to often feeling such thoughts and challenges after reading... at least for a little while... I guess that is why I need to make challenging books like this more a part of my diet - to help me gain a better perspective.... not just to appreciate my freedoms in Christ but to make better use of them, to treasure and guard them and pray for those who suffer, remembering that they, too hate to suffer, are mere humans (not some stoic saints who are stronger and more 'suited' to suffering).

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow Sharon - sounds like a really challenging book - great, as you say, to get a dose of perspective! Is it a children's book?

Sharon said...

so far it has been great for children - simple enough to read/understand. I must finish before I answer properly though:)