Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2009

Cornelia and the Gracchi

I just sat down this evening to prepare some school work for Joshua who is to be at Grandma's for a few hours tomorrow while we attend a funeral. The chapter in 'A Child's History of the World' I read in preparation discussed the rise of the Roman empire - the aqueducts, the amazing way the Romans built roads, created long-lasting infrastructure, etc. While shocked again by reading of their gladiatorial, blood-thirsty appetitites I continued reading on and learned about a lady I have never heard of before. I will quote from the book, and though I know little else about this woman and her sons I just loved the picture of motherhood it conjoured up in my mind and told me of this woman's heart.

One day a very rich Roman woman was visiting Cornelia and showing off her rings and necklaces and other ornaments, of which she had a great many and was very proud.

When she had shown off all she had, she asked to se Cornelia's jewels.

Cornelia called to her two boys, who were playing outside, and when they came in to their mother she put her arms around them and said:

"These are my jewels."

Apparently these two sons (known as the Gracchi) grew up and set to work trying to help the poor in Rome to survive and be able to afford at least a small plot of land where they could grow crops.... Their attempts to help the poor lead to the death of one (hated by the greedy rich in Rome).

...and isn't there a children's Sunday School song called "Precious Jewels" describing children as jewels to Christ?

Credit to Australian National Gallery

1 comment:

Sparkling Adventures said...

I have always called my girls my "treasures" and explain to them that they are the things that I value most, not baubles in a setting or coins hidden away.