Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Nature Journalling

We've started doing some nature journalling on alternate Friday mornings. On the other Friday we go for a big walk/get the heart pumping and enjoy the scenery down by the lake.

Today it was nature journalling with friends. I must say with boys, the water and little fish that can be caught with a net are the big attraction. Nature journalling itself kind of fell by the wayside a little... but what focus they had on the little critters, the water and all the fascination beneath... we observed hundreds of tiny little fish, darting to and fro, swamp hens ducking their heads below the surface and even a turtle surfacing it's skinny head.




Here's a book I have found helpful:

Trying to keep a focus on the insects/fish/plants rather than the overwhelmingness (if indeed that is a word) of the many adventures to be had, is always our challenge... but as I think about it I am pleased, not that we didn't get so much achieved as we had planned... but just that there is still a fascination for all God's creation - a "whoa... did you see that?" "why is the duck doing that?" and "look at all the sea weed... it's stringy and goey..." etc. etc...
... now, if only we could get all that onto paper!

No comments: