Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Help from blog readers needed

This week David began a Bible study in our home. He decided to use a DVD - the Gospel of John which is acted out, using word for word Scripture (Good News Bible). After we watch a small section of DVD we stop, open to the book of John and are challenged with questions relating to that passage of Scripture.

It was encouraging to see some of our neighbours (who have started coming to church) come and join in the study. Was great to have a study in our home again, too...

After the study I had an opportunity to get to know one lady - a Sudanese Mum who has started coming along to church. It became apparent through the study, when she was called on to read the Scripture, that she couldn't read at all. After apologising for her having been embarrassed at not being able to read - I privately asked about her background and was astounded to find that she had not learned to read in Sudanese either. She said it was typical for Sudanese women to have about 1 year (for a few more fortunate ones up to 6 years) of education. The things I take for granted... My heart goes out to her, and many like her who have active minds and not the opportunity... and then add an entirely different culture to that struggle...

I have agreed to help her learn to read..

I am praying about this and doing some research but would also like to invite you to join in praying with me.

I would also like to ask...

Do any of my blog reading friends know, or have heard of a program for teaching adults to read?

I have great materials for children but want to be careful to avoid anything that might look childish or might seem a little goofy to a very capable Mum...

Ideas/insights please??

2 comments:

Ang Pang said...

A.C.E has a program for adults- called "videophonics", a set of DVD's and workbooks. Ask Steve for details.

Sparkling Adventures said...

We have the Bible in mp3 format if that would help...