http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea
I was introduced to it by an Asian friend. It is quite popular in Asian circles. Basically it is a cold drink (iced tea, iced coffee, chocolate, coconut, etc.) with tapioca balls in the bottom. When you drink the tea you need a thick straw (available from Asian shops) so that you suck up the tapioca balls with your tea! It is quite an experience. I really like coconut pearl tea and so decided to make some for our Czech friend, Martina to try. I popped it in her fridge downstairs and I will let you know what she thought when she has a taste (hmmm... I guess I should warn her of the choking hazard!)
Here is how you make it for any who are game (you can buy it too at shops that sell Asian drinks - there are some other interesting ones with red beans, grass jelly, ice and coconut - if you are adventurous)
Recipe
- Tapioca balls (this time I found some that cook quickly - otherwise you have to cook for a very long time in a stack of water - packets have instructions on the back if you can read Chinese!) It is really important to cook the pearls long enough to make them soft otherwise your pearls are
- Sugar syrup - made from white and brown sugar brought to a boil together then cooled
- Iced drink of your choice. I like coconut so I use coconut milk powder (Rasaku brand from Woolies) I also add fresh coconut juice from a real coconut or from freezer section in Asian shop (comes frozen is small sealed bag). Blend up coconut powder with fresh coconut juice and cold water
Today Joshua was thrilled to get a parcel in the post from the Aussie Kids magazine (magazine for parents with parenting articles and a special activity page for kids. This is the second time he received a prize from them for sending in the answers to the kids activity page. Well done Josh.... ah and boy does he get excited when something comes in the post for him!
No comments:
Post a Comment